Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Reading Diary Week 14: La Fontaine

La Fontaine Unit

1. Foolish Animals- The Tortoise and the Hare was one of my favorite stories as I child. I always thought the tortoise was so clever! The Ass in the Lion's Skin was funny but sometimes it is a little difficult to read the stories because of the flow. I like rhythmic fables where they have a specific beat to them, I couldn't find it in this story. Another reason I love fables is because they have such clear morals.

2. More Foolish Animals- Poor puppy lost his bone just cause he got excited about his reflection! The city mouse and the country mouse is a classic! I think it was in one of the first units too. I have heard the story of the cat and the monkey as well. This story was in a previous unit too I think.

3. Foxes- Okay, this unit has definitely been given before because I also remember the story of the fox and the grapes. Again, I love the morals of these stories!

4. Birds- Stories about birds always crack me up because the birds are always so foolish. I think it is interesting though, how they are portrayed as  being so foolish when really, most birds are pretty smart. I am not saying they are the smartest, they just aren't as ridiculous as these stories make them seem.

5. Insects- I noticed that the gnat in the last story is actually a mosquito. I wonder why they call it a gnat... I also think it is interesting how insects are personified. They are show very closely to how they are as actual bugs where other creatures are given a stereotype and that is how they are written in stories.

6. Foolish People- I wonder what if the golden egg was actually supposed to be made of gold or if it was "golden" because it was an unusual golden color that was sought after. The pumpkin story was really interesting. I like how the man thought about what it would be like if he changed things but then decided they were better as they were.

7. Foxes and Wolves- These stories were just as I would expect from stories about wolves and foxes and other animals interacting with the two. Both are such cunning and clever creatures, though the wolf is stronger, so they show a good balance for the other.

8. Horses- I was curious how the horses would be shown in these stories. They are both strong and regal but horses aren't too smart. I think it is interesting that they are considered so highly over foxes and wolves but really, foxes and wolves are much smarter than horses.

9. Dogs- There are so many kinds of dogs, I wonder if they will all be written int he same light. Yep! It seems that domesticated dogs are seen as fat and not as wise, much like the rich and high in status were stereotyped in the older days. But the wolves were seen as poor but cunning and willing to do whatever to get some food.

10. Cats- I love cats but I know how they are written. They are tricksters or they are spoiled. They sometimes have magical properties about them but they always manage to get into trouble! Which is exactly what happens in these stories. I still love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment