Friday, August 29, 2014

Essay Week 2: The Golden ASSess

For this unit I read "Cupid and Psyche", which is part of the story, The Golden Ass, by Apuleius and translated by Tony Kline. This was a very good unit to have put into the choices for this week. There was a lot of information to work with, the characters were developed very well, and it was very easy to follow.

One think that did make me sad as I was reading it was the fact that I felt like I was missing some information. The information wasn't necessarily important to understand the story, but I felt like things were resolved too quickly or it just didn't make the story flow as smooth as it should have.

I enjoyed the first few chapters being from the main story, The Golden Ass. I felt like it gave a purpose to the story being told. It was as if the old woman was telling the captured woman the story, not only to calm her down, but also to show her that even when life throws you all sorts of curve balls, if you love someone bad enough, you will do anything to be by their side again. I don't know if that is actually what she was trying to say to the woman since she didn't want the woman to go and escape, but I felt like that was the moral that would have been conveyed to the woman.

After the story of "Cupid and Psyche" was over, I felt that the continuation of The Golden Ass was a little unnecessary. When I was reading "Cupid and Psyche", I was pulled into their world and I enjoyed that. When the story was over and it shifted back to the original story, I was pulled from that world and thrown back to the other one. I still enjoyed the story of The Golden Ass and would love to go and read the entire story one day, but I would have been happy if it had just ended with "Cupid and Psyche", not because it would have made the read shorter, but because it disrupted my involvement in the other story.

This reading choice was easy for me to choose because of my love of Greek and Roman mythology stories. If there is an option to read that type of a story for the unit, it is almost guaranteed I will choose it. The Gods and Goddesses, what they rule over, who they are related to, how they act with each other, how they act with humans, it is all so fascinating to me and I love the fantastical world that the story are usually set in.

(Psyche Honored by the People
Luca Giordano, c. 1695-7

No comments:

Post a Comment