Sunday, August 24, 2014

Week 1: Famous Last Words

So this week was the first week of classes. It isn't too hectic yet but I can tell things are going to explode soon... I am hoping that, since I took anatomy last semester and most everything is still fresh in my mind, all of the exams and practicals and quizzes will be much easier. So far I am doing really well and I am feeling good about the upcoming semester in anatomy.

My very first writing was quite a hit I think. I took one of Aesop's fables and completely changed the environment and relationship of the characters. I put them in space! How can it be better? I was very proud of it and I think I will try to change as much about the stories that I can while still being able to connect back to the original.

I read a story about Humpty Dumpty by one of my classmates and I absolutely loved it! The student had taken the nursery rhyme of Humpty Dumpty and some of the history of Isaac Newton and combined them. It was one of the best stories I have read so far. It made me laugh throughout the entire story, I noticed connections to both stories throughout and I just really enjoyed how the stories were changed and worked into each other!

Another story I read that I really liked was another Aesop's fable, I believe, and it was about a peacock. There wasn't anything too fancy about the story, but the way it was written was very impressive to me. I was pulled in right away and I instantly made a connection with the main character. I was sad when the main character traded in what he loved most for what he wanted most and I felt anger for the birds who ignored him when he could only fly. I want to try and write more like this so that I can really engage my readers!

I think for my next story I am going to make it longer. I really liked reading the longer stories and imagining backstories to all of the characters and situations and I think there could be a lot of potential in making the stories longer and more in depth.

Author: George Fyler Townsend
Date: 1867)


1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way the first week but it took a while for it too really sink in. I knew this semester was going to be crazy and hectic from the get-go, but I didn't realize how much until about the third week of school. It has been unrelenting since. BUT it's half way done!

    What you said about your writing is true, you're really good at it! You give really great details so it's really easy to see what you're saying.

    Good luck with the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete