Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Week 1 Storytelling: The Travelers and the Purse

In a distance section of space, far from our Earth, brother and sister bounty hunters made their way to a distant planet supposedly littered with criminals and spies. Sarah and Gregor Strike always knew where the best places to pick up the best bounties were. They were one of the most well known bounty hunter groups in the galaxy. As they traveled they ran across the wreckage of a smaller money transport ship.
"Woo! Sarah get up here and look at what your big brother just found!" Gregor shouted over the intercom system.
Sarah shot up the levels of the ship until she made it to the cockpit with her brother.
"This had better be good. I was just getting ready to clean my wea-... is that what I think it is?" Sarah's mouth dropped as she realized what she was staring at.
"Damn straight it is! And I found it!" Gregor boasted. He worked the ship slowly through the debris from the mangled ship. It looked like the ship had been blown up from the inside, which was odd. 
"You may have found it, genius, but we are both part of this team and therefore we both get the spoils from this find." Sarah punched her brother in the shoulder. Gregor grumbled under his breath as he rubbed the new injury. Sarah was a lot stronger than she looked and had a habit of using that lovely talent to keep her brother in place. Gregor remembered the last time he had tried to keep a bounty to himself. He had gotten caught in a shootout with the target in a public place and ended up getting arrested. Sarah stood back and watched as he was dragged away by officials. She had bailed him out eventually, but he knew that if he wanted her to help him later on with something, he should be smart about sharing with her. Besides, he hated it when Sarah was cross with him. It made traveling with her almost unbearable. 

Author's note: 
This story is based off of the Aesop's fable The Travelers and the Purse. Two travelers are walking down a road when one finds a purse filled with gold. The traveler who found the purse says that it is his since he is the one who found it. The other traveler tries to make the point that they are lucky to have found the purse because they are traveling together. When villagers see the travelers with the purse and start accusing them of thievery, the traveler who found the purse tries to say that they are in trouble and that they are lost. The other traveler tells the one with the purse that he wouldn't share the findings before so he shouldn't even now that he is in trouble. The moral is to not expect to share misfortunes if we don't share our good fortunes either.

Bibliography:
"The Travelers and the Purse." By Aesop and illustrated by Milo Winters from Aesop's Fables. 1947. Web Source The Project Gutenberg.

Author: Unknown
Date: c. 1880
Web source Wikimedia
Source: Library of Congress

6 comments:

  1. Great Story. I could definitely feel a Doctor Who vibe coming from this story and I think you did a great job writing this story creatively. I love the setting you choose, it made the story more mysterious and unknown. I also like the characters you used! The Aesop story you choose is one of my favorites! I also really like the picture you included!

    Great job on your storytelling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sage, I found your storytelling post to be so entertaining to read this week! I thought you did a wonderful job of making this story your own and giving it a fresh new twist! Aesop has such short fun stories and are easy to spin off of a create something new! Thanks for a great read and I look forward to reading more of your work throughout the semester!

    P.S. Good luck with the PT route! I have been working at a physical therapy clinic for almost two year and have developed a huge sense of respect for the field!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun read! Nothing makes an Aesop Fable better than putting it in space. I really enjoyed the moral of the story as well. I thought the dynamic between the two "travelers" was improved by it being a brother and sister. Great read and I do look forward to more stories from you throughout the semester. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your creativity! I can see your love for sci-fi coming through in this piece. I really loved that you made this with siblings! I have two brothers and a sister, so I can definitely understand this sibling rivalry coming through and learning through your mistakes with the siblings. I am looking forward to reading your blog this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a way of giving life to characters. I have a younger sister myself, and I can imagine the look on her face if she were to be watching me be dragged off by the police! My favorite part of the piece is the line "...which was odd." It adds a sense of suspense and makes me want to stick around to see what happens. It's a shame you didn't get the chance to keep writing it. I'd say it would make a great short story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You truly bring this story to life! I think you did a great job of getting the main message of the story across while doing a great job of describing the relationship between the two main characters. I also found it really interesting to hear the character's point of view. Great post and I look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete